Voluntary Norfolk is lead partner in the Young Carers & Family Support Service for carers in Norfolk under the age of 19 who may be looking after, or helping to look after a parent, grandparent or sibling.
The service aims to support the young carer themselves, the person they are caring for and other family members in an innovative ‘whole family’ approach, which offers
- tailored support for the young carer and their family, around issues such as managing school, transition assessments, local activities and groups, benefits and entitlements and signposting to local services
- mentoring for young carers with a targeted 3-6 month support programme
- positive activities
- practical skills and knowledge to help on topics such mental and emotional wellbeing, nutrition & diet, caring basics and first aid.
The service is funded by Norfolk County Council Children’s Services and delivered by the Carers Matter Norfolk partnership (Voluntary Norfolk, Family Carers Net, Norfolk & Suffolk Care Support and Carers Voice Norfolk & Waveney) together with youth organisations and young carer groups from across Norfolk
- Caring Together (formerly known as Carers Trust)
- Great Yarmouth & Gorleston Young Carers
- Holt Youth Project
- MTM Youth Services
- Suffolk Family Carers
- West Norfolk Carers
- The Benjamin Foundation